Re: [LIH] Once more... NASSCOM

Shridhar Daithankar rearranged electrons thusly:

> all those guys who are spending invaluable time on security especially in
> Universities/IIT's. I hope Dewang Mehta understands what he is doing.....

When pigs start flying, that overfed windbag will understand what he's doing.
He's just a media-hungry idiot.

> "These guys are brilliant, they "hacked" the defense ministry in 5 minutes".

given the sort of outdated stuff (10 year old, unpatched unices and linuxes
mostly) that ernet, nicnet and such are running over most of their network,
_why_ am I not surprised that any idiot with a "rent-a-rootkit" downloaded from
one of a dozen different sites - <http://www.rootshell.com> say - can easily
walk in and out of such boxen?  Evidently, they haven't learnt a single thing
from MilW0rm waltzing into BARC exploiting a sendmail hole that was fixed about
6 years ago at least.

OK folks, now that this has hit C|NET, I can assure you of one thing.  Several
sysadmins are sure to go to their routers and add rules firewalling everything
from 202.54/16, 203.197/16 and other Indian IP blocks.  Welcome to the Great
Indian LAN - for that's what we are going to become!!!

China has already done this sort of thing (govt sponsored script kiddies) and
guess how many sysadmins (isps, corporate networks ...) are blocking all
traffic from china?

Atul?  Thaths? Raju?

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <-->  mallet <at> efn <dot> org