Cluster stuff (was Re: Multi processors)

----- Original Message -----
From: shyam V <shyamv20@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-india-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2000 9:44 AM
Subject: [LIG] Multi processors

> Dear Linux users,
> I visited IT.com at Bangalore and I saw the
> multiprocess macine exibit. Now I want to do that at

The mosix cluster i suppose? It is not a multiprocessor by itself.  A
multiprocessor is a SMP box which has 2 or more processors on  the same
machine

<cut>
> machine with out any disk drives. I have connected
> them using the parallel ports, The need the
> instructions to do this so if any one out there is
> interested kindly mail me back as to how to do this. I
> have a RH6 with 2.2.17kernal which I recently
> recompiled to enable multi processors.

U dont need to recompile the kernel to enable SMP if u r using uniprocessor
machines as nodes.  Actually u need to patch the 2.2.17 kernel for mosix
which is available on the mosix home page (www.mosix.org) and have the
kernel running on all the nodes of the cluster.

 > is that the IBM machine is diskless so I also want to
> boot using the LPT is that possible ? I need details
> as to how to do this (modules, sites to obtain them
> etc...) I do not have an NIC card.

well mosix and other cluster solutions use TCP/IP for communication.  So I
dont know how it would be possible for u to get them working using parallel
ports....

> Also, If the gentlemen whome I spoke to at IT, gets
> in touch with me I would be ever so greatful as the
> email address you gave me seems to be returning.

Well which gentleman (men?) was it that u spoke to? One with long hair and
french beard (resembling gnu?) or the....ahem......tom hanks lookalike?...U
can use LIH for all ur queries...unless u have something very specific...
...btw LIG is for profound  ponderings about "stuff" in "general" and not
for technical help LIH is meant for that so movin this thred over to LIH...

> -shyam

-Kiran