Re: Free software companies and stock options

Biju Chacko rearranged electrons thusly:

> working without having to pay through the nose for outside support. There
> is no guarantee that things would have worked properly out of the box with
> a turnkey commercial solution. So your anecdote insn't necessarily a point
> against Linux per se.

 Most of the turnkey linux solutions I have seen are generally totally fscked
 up (unless custom built for the org by an expert, of course).

 Unhappily, 'turnkey solution' generally means 'install redhat with everything
 selected, leave most of the stuff unsecured and expose your comp to bind, pam,
 kernel and other attacks - and oh, did I mention that there is a cute web
 based / gui interface for you to fiddle with and screw things up further?'

 Take the Cobalt boxes, for example.  Till recently, they were redhat clones,
 with an ultra-cutesy gui wrapper.

> Frankly, if you are a clueful newbie, I'd recommend Linux simply because
> the support is better. There is a wealth of info available on the net to

well said.

	+suresh