Re: Free software companies and stock options

Harveer S wrote:

> Yes, just see the acceptability of Linux among the NOS segment given all
> the hype etc. about it.
> (Source : PCQ User's Choice Awards - Sep'2000 issue p136)
> While Win2k, being a relatively new entrant as managed to bag the top spot
> with NT as a second runner,  still Linux manages only 11% of the total
> installs of Win2K. IMO, the reason is not hard to see. Win 2K is easily
> available (pirated), and Linux is also available at almost the same price.
> So, why are people _not_ converting to Linux? This  has mainly to do with
> the stigma (or whatever u call it) with the "free" software - "Because it
> is free, it cannot be relied upon".

I think not. My experience with it as a corporate server OS shows that
Linux is not as reliable as is made out, and is also difficult to
manage. If your Linux person is not available when you have a problem,
heaven help you (this has happened to me *many* times). With Windows NT,
rebooting usually fixes the problem (much as we Linux folk hate
rebooting) and most average users can click around until they find what
they want.

--

Kiran Jonnalagadda
http://lunateks.com

baby.sh: while true; do echo "^G^G^G^G^G"; sed -e 's/food/poop/';
sync; sync; sleep 15; done