Re: Free Software Company

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 08:57:51AM +0530, Radhakrishnan C V wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Raghavendra Bhat wrote:
> : > However, RMS/FSF have their pockets of strength in places known for
> : > their "counter culture".
> : >
> :
> : Can U elaborate this point ?  I want to counter this after a clear
> : reply.

Rag00, how are you so sure that you want to counter something that you
don't fully understand ? :)

> I too join Raghavendra to know more on your point.

It wasn't so much of an argument - it was a mere observation.
Berkeley (specifically Univ of California, Berkeley) was the
center of many cultural revolutions in the 1960s, which was
radical and against established norms.

You can read more about it at:

http://www.google.com/search?q=berkeley+%22counter+culture%22&hl=en&safe=off&start=10&sa=N
http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1979/2/79.02.03.x.html

Specifically, quoting from the second URL:

<quote>
Dissatisfied with the world they inherited and following a pattern of
dissent from their parents? generation, the youth of the 1960s formed
a ?counter-culture? which rejected many of the fundamental values of
American society. A much larger generation than previous ones (economics
was not all that boomed after World War II), this generation grew up
with every advantage their parents could afford to give them, including
a college education.
</quote>

My observation was that Richard Stallman/FSF ideology has more believers
in such places, than the proverbial American "main street" (For those
interested: every American town has a main street, which is sort of
Gandhi/Nehru road of India).

	-Arun