Re: Free Software Company

> If I were to develop a software for my own use, and I feel that the thing
> can be of use to other people, then I can put it out for them. But this,
> IMHO does NOT mean free software. What is means is that you are sharing
> your knowledge with the community.

But that is the spirit of free software according to my vision of what
it stands for. Strangely enough The BSD model or the perl artistic
license model feels much freer than the Gnu model which is actually not
all that free..."you can't use our stuff unless you *free* your software
cause it wants to be free..."
I know I am misquoting /oversimplifying/flamebaiting here but I do face
this problem... suppose tomorrow I have a choice to develop for (say )
windows or for linux then on windows I know that I can develop and
distribute my app charge whatever I feel like it and be free of lawsuits
legal hassles and other such crap.

On linux I have to audit my code to see what I link against, what
licenses those components have ,whether that forces me to publish my
code or other stuff.

So in a way FSF promotes communism, closed source promotes capitalism ,
sharing ( like BSD,Perl artistic license) on the other hand promotes
philanthropy.

Or have I misinterpreted the situation.

Cheerio
Robin

> OTOH, combining together to work on major projects that are "free", would
> need [1].
>
> So, it is a difficult choice then.
>
> --
>
> Cheers !!!
> Harveer Singh
>
> (NXN - Not eXactly a Newbie)
> ICQ#:86100081

_END_
Robin S Chatterjee Yahoo pager ID -Robinchatterjee
mailto:robinsc@xxxxxxxxx
mailto:robins_chatterjee@xxxxxxxxxxxx
FAX 1-(815)550-6171
Robin's Poetry Pages