Linux setting

Hi ;
    Does somebody knows how to re-init processes
without reboot the system after removing unwanted
process from rc.d/init.d/rc3 files

     FYI, I'm newbie in Linux. So , I've very basic
question to ask. Hopefully can somebody can answer my
question ...
   (1) What is a single mode user and what is
multimode  user , and how do I knows whether I'm in
single mode or multi  ?   How do I enable single mode
or multimode ?
   (2) I would connect linux to router through com
port . Does linux can set the terminal in order
communicate with router thorugh com port instead of
using telnet ?
   (3) Why I can't run X windows after upgrading linux
kernel to 2.2.17 ?  How should I take note during
configure X windows ?
    Can anyone help ?