Re: Linux India registration.

Hi thaths,

> deliver on my promise to make li-reg archives open for browsing.  Just hold
> on for a couple of days.  The archives will be browsable and ALL posts
> (including old ones) will be available.

Thaths: all the bad feelings circulating have to do with the list being
closed. You're being on vacation hasn't helped any, especially if there's
a deadline which matters to people like me, if not you. Stall space in IT
COM is already sold out : and this was in July when I spoke to KK. That's
away from the main point anyway : what happens if the closed LI-reg list
reaches a conclusion no one likes? Do we scrap it all and go back to the
beginning? I _do_ _not_ _care_ about LI registration : it's just something
that needs to be done in order to get IT COM in place.

> C'mon.  Why did YOU have to wait a full 3 weeks after I posted my original
> message in LIG about the formation of li-reg to ask all these questions?

Like I mentioned, I really wasn't interested in the formation of LI-reg. I
still am not. It just turns out that I'm suddenly told that there may be
no IT COM, because a select group of people have formed a closed list,
to register LI, and don't seem to be bothered about IT COM in the least. A
post on I LUG b'lore quoted Arun as referring to IT COM as
"insignificant". I don't know if that's true or not, and I'm more than
willing to give him the benefit of doubt, but it certainly raised my
interest enough to bother to find out what's going on.

I hope this clears up my motives.

> Arun and I were not in IT.com.  So the Linux presence in Bangalore IT.com
> was, indeed, brought to our attention through the photos and articles.

True, it's just that I know at least two other members of the Li-reg list
were very much at IT COM last year, and (probably) aware of the
sponsorship problems this year. It's strange that no one else mentioned
the need for LI registration for IT COM to be sponsored, and the urgency
in doing so. Maybe this is an indication that there should be others on
the li-reg list who can contribute information that you may not have,
detached as you are from the actual IT scene here.

> Also, you are analyzing every tiny bit of Arun's phrasing.  It is precisely

I am supposed to read but not analyze? I have to if it concerns something
that concerns me. Surely I am accountable for what I write and post to a
list. Arun's phrasing was extrmely worrisome to me.

> this reason why the li-reg was to be "semi closed".  If it were open to the
> world, every one will be analyzing everyone else's words under huge
> microscopes.  And others will be analysing the words you use to analyse
> someone else's words.  This is why Debian has two mailing lists -
> debian-devel is for developers to discuss issues.  And debian-private (a
> closed list) where critical issues are discussed in private.  Even as a
> Debian developer, I hardly browse through debian-devel because of the sheer
> traffic in it ("What did you mean by the word 'what'?").

At least on debian devel, I assume that if I am a capable coder, who is
willing to write or maintain apps for debain, I can become part of the
list, and contribute to the discussions. With LI-reg, I have to sit around
and wait for a self appointed group to make decisions for me, in which I
cannot participate, irrespective of my capability, or willingness to
contribute.

Anyways : this argument is probably a waste of time if those on the list
are not willing to accept others point of view. I quote the example of
linux-kernel, and you quote the example of debian-devel. Where does this
get us ? Bottom line is that li-reg is still going on its business, I
still don't know what's happening, and no one seems to be happy. And so
the cycle goes on.

hopefully someone will step in and put an end to these power games, so
that I can get to IT COM and have fun.

nikk