Re: Linux India registration.

Nikhil Datta proclaimed:
> > deliver on my promise to make li-reg archives open for browsing.  Just hold
> > on for a couple of days.  The archives will be browsable and ALL posts
> > (including old ones) will be available.
> Thaths: all the bad feelings circulating have to do with the list being
> closed.

Even before the li-reg was created, I had posted here in LIG that the
archives of it will be made public.  So I assume that not many of the
people you move with trust my words.

> what happens if the closed LI-reg list
> reaches a conclusion no one likes?

The li-reg was created /not/ to run LI or determine LI's (in its present
form) involvement in any events.  It was created to determine how LI can
become a national body.  It is my understanding that PCQ and KK wanted to
deal only with an official body.  Since we did not want the talks about a
formation of a nation-wide LI to be hastened by one event (of whatever
importance), arun and others worked on that letter to KK.

Besides, you are missing out on a VITAL point about the people in li-reg.
They are representatives of your ILUG in li-reg.  I suggest that if you
have further concerns you talk to your ilug's representative.

> I _do_ _not_ _care_ about LI registration : it's just something
> that needs to be done in order to get IT COM in place.

IT.com, with all due respect, is just one more event.  There will be plenty
more in the future.  If a national LI is going to be created, discussions
about such a body and its role and constitution are much more important
than than Some IT Event 2000.

> Like I mentioned, I really wasn't interested in the formation of LI-reg. I
> still am not. It just turns out that I'm suddenly told that there may be
> no IT COM, because a select group of people have formed a closed list,
> to register LI, and don't seem to be bothered about IT COM in the least.

1. The LI registration process is of far more importance to me.

2. LI's non-participation (had that been the case) in an IT.com is not the
end of IT.com itself.  It merely would have meant no participation of LI in
IT.com.

[See?  How do you like it when I take a statement you have made publically
and over analyze it to smithereens?]

3. This "select body" was indeed selected by each ilug to represent them.
Again, as I said earlier, you ought to talk to your ilug's representative.

> True, it's just that I know at least two other members of the Li-reg list
> were very much at IT COM last year, and (probably) aware of the
> sponsorship problems this year.

As you will see from the archives, this issue was not mentioned by whoever
two you are referring to.

> It's strange that no one else mentioned
> the need for LI registration for IT COM to be sponsored, and the urgency
> in doing so. Maybe this is an indication that there should be others on
> the li-reg list who can contribute information that you may not have,
> detached as you are from the actual IT scene here.

Arun and I, the only two people who live outside India and who, ergo, are
detached from the actual IT scene there, are non-voting members of li-reg.
There are 10+ ones who are very much a part of the scene there and in many
cases, earn their daily bread through their linux expertise.

> > Also, you are analyzing every tiny bit of Arun's phrasing.  It is precisely
> I am supposed to read but not analyze? I have to if it concerns something
> that concerns me. Surely I am accountable for what I write and post to a
> list. Arun's phrasing was extrmely worrisome to me.

And I shall do unto Ceasar as he'd do unto me.  I have read AND analyzed
your sentance above.

> At least on debian devel, I assume that if I am a capable coder, who is
> willing to write or maintain apps for debain, I can become part of the
> list, and contribute to the discussions.

But vital discussions about Debian happen in debian-private and not in
debian-devel.

> With LI-reg, I have to sit around
> and wait for a self appointed group to make decisions for me, in which I
> cannot participate, irrespective of my capability, or willingness to
> contribute.

I take grave exception to your characterization of this group.  Had you
bothered to read the archives of LIG and my proposal for the formation of
li-reg, you would have realized that this group is NOT self appointed.  The
group comprises of representatives of each lug (that I could reach).

Please don't give me that "I don't care about the registration.  I woke up
and someone told me IT.com is not going to be happening because of some
group of people."  If you had done the minimum of research, you would not
be slinging mud on some of, IMO, the people who have done a lot for Linux
in India.

> Anyways : this argument is probably a waste of time if those on the list
> are not willing to accept others point of view.

As I have already said a couple of times, talk to your ilug's
representative in this forum.

> Bottom line is that li-reg is still going on its business, I
> still don't know what's happening, and no one seems to be happy. And so
> the cycle goes on.

Till now.  I have personally taken the 30 minutes it takes to set up the
archives.  You can read the archives of the li-reg list at
http://lists.linux-india.org/cgi-bin/wilma/li-reg

Also, I am fairly surprised that even after I said that the archive will be
opened up "Real Soon Now", you have taken another pot shot at me.  If do
not trust my word, I suggest that you call for a vote of no confidence
against me as the list admin in the Linux India General mailing list.

> hopefully someone will step in and put an end to these power games, so
> that I can get to IT COM and have fun.

What power games?  Please spare a few moments to acquaint yourself with the
history of what is going on.

Thaths
--
"Movies aren't stupid. They fill us with romance and hatred and revenge
    fantasies. 'Lethal Weapon' showed us that suicide is funny."