Re: Some question about Linux

(Q1) I've installed linux in my labtop with build in
CDROM . How do I mount CDROM manually instead of
automatic during boot time ? My /etc /fstab
look like following .....
<...>
/dev/fd0         /mnt/floppy   ext2  owner,noauto  0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom     iso9660 owner,noauto,ro  0 0
<...>

It look like already being mounted during boot time.
How do I mount it manually ?

It DOES NOT. AFAIK, the noauto tells the system not to mount the devices automatically. You have to use mount explicitly. Things may be different however, if u r booting straight into X. While starting X, many times (mostly with KDE), the removable media (CD,FDD) etc. are mounted automatically. If this is the case, then try to edit their properties from within the appropriate WM itself.

>(Q2) How do I change IP address for my ethernet card ?
>Should I need reboot after change

Try using linuxconf. Then restart the network service...
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

(Q3) How do I check what modules or packages that I
had installed and how do I remove or uninstalled
unwanted packages ?

If u r using GUI, the use kpackage or gnorpm or some similar utility. However, if u r operating from the command-line, then use rpm.

rpm -qa
---> gives all the packages that u have installed, alongwith a brief descrip of each. Or if u want to query about some particular package(s), pipe the output of the this command thru grep or something similar.
You may also use

rpm -q <package name> (Wildcards supported - atleast * is)

For finding out the package with which a file is associated, rpm -qf <filename>

However, you may want to update ur RPM database though (rpm --rebuilddb)

Uninstalling is very simple. Just give "rpm -e <package name>", and it will be uninstalled, provided that it does not break any dependencies.

For more info, please refer to RPM-HOWTO, and "man rpm"

--

Cheers !!!
Harveer Singh

(NXN - Not eXactly a Newbie)