Re: [Q] What stats would you like to see...

Mrinal Kalakrishnan proclaimed:
> Sudhakar Chandra typed:
> > I am working on a script (among other things) that will regularly
> > (monthly?) post list statistics to the various LI lists.  I welcome
> > suggestions on the kind of statistics that you folks will like to see.
> Is it going to be opensource?

But, of course.  Not much point in keeping a perl script closed source. To
make Arun happy I might use the BSD license. ;-)

My initial script will be specific to the LI lists and mj2.  I will, time
permitting, rewrite it for a more general case.

> > 2. Subscriber numbers
> >       (d) By ISP (Satyam, VSNL etc.)
> This is great but how will you do the ISP bit? Only by the domain name
> (eg - xyz@xxxxxxxx) or by scanning the headers for relaying SMTP
> servers?

In the beginning, it will be domain name.

> > 4. Most popular subjects
> Could you elaborate on this one? I mean - most of the subjects of
> threads are different, aren't they?

I was planning on just using the subject line to group messages together.
Not a very fool proof way because some of us use brain dead MUAs that post
followups as a new message.

> > 5. Average depth of threads
> Is this average "number of messages" in a thread?

Yes.

Thaths
--
Marge: Okay, but you've accomplished a lot!  You've made me very happy.
Homer: Oh, yeah, they'll put me on a stamp for that!