Re: [LIH] thought you ppl may be interested

Ravikant K.Rao saw fit to inform LI that:

>    Suresh> ETH was responsive on the rare occasions I used their
>    Suresh> support service here in Hyderabad.

>	Yes, but was it *WEBMASTER*@eth who carried out proceedings?
>Something is massively screwed up if yes ... because I always thought

Definitely not.  I phoned them up, and talked with their "sysadmin" -
who's mail admin, sysadmin, web admin etc etc etc, all in one.

After that, there are just support guys.

>webmaster was a "Different" kind of a guy ... not exactly the helpdesk
>kind of guy.... I refuse to respect *ANY* organisation if the

In _huge_ orgs, that's ok.  But small ISPs running no more than one or two
servers a city don't need the overhead of hiring ten guys to do a job one
or two guys can do easily.

>*WEBMASTER* is the helpdesk. And let me state this quite explicitly
>... if *I* was webmaster of $ISP and some guy sent me mail meant for
>someother guy, I would probably take special trouble to bust his

_Anybody_ in such a position, where there's another guy to take care of
these issues (esp a 1st level techsup guy) would tear a new back orifice
into

1. The customer (gently and politely, with a sharp surgical knife for good
PR purposes)

2. The clueless techsup idiot who gave the customer your office addy (use
a blunt meat ax for this guy)

>	Setup your own caching-only NS and use VSNL's? That's what I'm
>doing too ;)

No disk space (less than 400 megs available right now), and my dialup is a
bit flaky right now.  Gotta do a major upgrade, if I don't go stateside
within a year or so.

>	BTW, just wondering, are(n't) we dis-obeying/transgressing
>"decency" or any "rules" or "laws" by not using VSNL for anything
>except the DNS?

Technically, no.  Most of these local ISPs are downstream of VSNL anyway,
and get at least sec DNS from VSNL.

>	I didn't. Unfortunately, due to the volume of email I
>send/receive I don't have a copy of what I said. Like I said, I have
>close friends who get heavily larted(?) by <popular isp> and I dont
>call anyone anything :c)

Which one was this?  mail me offlist willya?  I might have horror stories
as well, if I am thinking what you're thinking.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + sureshr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Most people wouldn't know music if it came up and bit them on the ass.