Re: Fwd: Kylix Kickoff

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> What made Udhay suspicious was the fact that a local dealer for Inprise /
> Borland had (just some days back) scraped addresses from LI and bang!linux
> (you, udhay, khader, swati sani etc etc) and sent a spam to them.

Uh, I did not receive any spam from them. Jessie and I were contacted in
private mail whether we were interested. I replied to them that I was.
Jessie and I are listed as coordinators for ILUG Bangalore, but both of us
have development and Linux backgrounds. We were not hit with any
unsolicted mail - we received a query, to which we replied.

> >I do not think that this was spam.
>
> ymmv :)

I doubt it, and I would sort of protest here that any mail that doesn't
come from your uncle/aunt/girlfriend/classmate is considered spam. This is
exactly why I asked how many of you actually received this note.

The note received last was a confirmation of registration. Maybe someone
at Unmobile or IBM nominated Udhay and Khader?

Before we lambast Borland any further (and I admit that I am more than
partial to Borland - their development tools were/are a boon to developers
world wide, and I for one welcome their forays into Linux), let's first
find out how many people actually got "spammed" before we unilaterally
slam them with accusations like this.

And Raju - their "clued-in"ness is far higher than most other companies I
have dealt with when it comes to Linux, with the exception of IBM and SGI.

Tried any Microsoft compilers for Linux recently?

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx (PGP:6011BCB8)
Bangalore, India   | +91(80)3440397 Fax +91(80)3341137