Re: Re: Re: Please share your linux experiences....

Hi,

Suresh Ramasubramanian typed:
> Thaths - as an alternative to reinventing the wheel by writing an LI FAQ
> by ourselves, there's a pretty neat set of howtos at
> http://www.local.net/~jgo (starting from installation, mounting drives etc
> to qmail / procmail / kernel compiling.  It also includes stuff like
> support for Yamaha sound cards).

No, I still think that we *should* reinvent the wheel. We could still
take material from various sources. The Sis 6xxx and YMF 724 are first
on the list.

> If we (tinw - there is no we) target linux at schools and colleges (more
> aggressively), where most kids get their first exposure to computers, we
> are going to boost Linux far more than by keeping on targeting the
> corporates.

This reminds me, our school just upgraded all the Win95 machines to
Windows 98! Aaargh!! This is the heights - and there is absolutely
nothing that the students can do about it. The administration of
schools will never take the students word seriously. So how exactly do
we target Linux at schools and colleges?

One common reason I have seen is ``It's free so how can it be good?''
And then they go and buy Windows 98 for 80 PCS!!

--
Mrinal Kalakrishnan <mrinal@xxxxxxxxx> (PGP:B1E86F5B) http://listen.to/mrinal
- - - - = ( Redhat Linux 6.1 ) = - - - - = ( Kernel 2.2.12-20 ) = - - - -