Re: Re: Re: Please share your linux experiences....

Mrinal Kalakrishnan saw fit to inform LI that:

>No, I still think that we *should* reinvent the wheel. We could still
>take material from various sources. The Sis 6xxx and YMF 724 are first
>on the list.

Customize and Innovate - Yes.  Rewrite from scratch - no.  This
"reinventing the wheel" defeats the whole idea of cooperative effort that
defines GNU and Linux.

>This reminds me, our school just upgraded all the Win95 machines to
>Windows 98! Aaargh!! This is the heights - and there is absolutely

Ouch.

>nothing that the students can do about it. The administration of
>schools will never take the students word seriously. So how exactly do
>we target Linux at schools and colleges?

That IS the question ... answers welcome.

>One common reason I have seen is ``It's free so how can it be good?''
>And then they go and buy Windows 98 for 80 PCS!!

RedHat costs about 3k, SuSe etc cost about the same ... let them buy boxed
sets, multi user support licenses etc.  They won't complain that it's
free, at least.  :)

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + President, CAUCE India + www.india.cauce.org
Stopping Spam In India + suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx + Spammers are Losers