Re: Re: Please share your linux experiences....

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Not exactly, Atul ... if you see the LUG meetings at ILUG-HYD (or $LUG for
> that matter) you get newbies asking the same old questions from time to
> time.  In fact, we ~do~ have a pointer to http://www.exocore.com/linux as
> a footer on our lists.

Case in point - the ILUGs actually have a pretty good thing going because
of the proximity of its members. What is missing is interaction *between*
ILUGs, at a national level - no concerted movement and feeling of doing
something for one's country.

And the other part - what a shame that we had to host that FAQ at Exocore.
We couldn't host it at LI because it is partially PCQ specific (and we
have had enough accusations on that front), and we cannot host it at PCQ's
own site because then we cannot update it.

But the Exocore Linux-FAQ is exactly the kind of knowledge building that
LI should have been doing.

> Thaths - as an alternative to reinventing the wheel by writing an LI FAQ
> by ourselves, there's a pretty neat set of howtos at
> http://www.local.net/~jgo (starting from installation, mounting drives etc
> to qmail / procmail / kernel compiling.  It also includes stuff like
> support for Yamaha sound cards).

Objection - there is no point to republishing stuff already on the web.
Notice that many of the questions asked here are not even *addressed* by
those FAQs! Show me an FAQ that deals with "names not resolving", "SiS
6xxx", "VSNL", "Satyam", etc. all in one place!

> However, there ~is~ one segment that's being neglected - all the schools
> and colleges in India which currently teach kids DOS, Windoze 3.1 (yeah,
> still - there's a small course on '95 thrown in) and programming in C,
> ForTran, COBOL, Pascal ...

Bingo.

Atul