Re: Please share your linux experiences....

> NIC for their Ku Band satellite setup uses Hughes DirecPC  VSAT technology
> which is targeted at getting the satellite pipe direct to a "single" remote
> user on the PC itself. Chances are that Hughes has only "Windows" drivers and
> hence NIC is restricted to "windows" usage , well, atleast with the Ku Band
> technology.

I've got one of those DirecPC thingies right here in my college - frankly I don't understand the whole thing ffull. I do know i get about 64k upstream aan(according to a webb site i got the info from)  3-24 mpbs downstream (which NIC can't possibly offer anyway).

The Earthstation 500(which is the router) connects to a windows-only PC, and has some satellite dish config stuff, it also has an rj45, which I plug directly into my linux server, eliminating all need for windows. the whole setup works fine without the windows box even being connected.

i've been told there is something wrong in my setup - so if you know more about it, or where i can get some more info, i'll be happy - I do know i get pretty decent bandwidth (though only at night an don public holidays).. you can check out http://iimk.ren.nic.in/mrtg/iimk.ren.nic.in.html to see for yourself...

nikk

I have never understood the female capacity to avoid a direct answer to
any question.
		-- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3