Re: Re: Please share your linux experiences....

Atul Chitnis wrote:

> And I am speaking about Linux in India. The list cannot be an end in
> itself, it must be part of something much larger, much more comprehensive
> and compelling.

Atul,  we need to get going on the point that "Maddog" mentioned during his
stopover at Delhi that Linux needs a formal organisation in India. How well
the organisation itself progresses, I guess only time will tell.

> Sadly, many people will only see the hyped up face of Linux, through
> commercial entities who couldn't care less if Linux lives or dies, as long
> as they can make a fast buck off it. Should the glamour fade, they'll drop
> Linux like a hot brick.
>
> The only thing that can save Linux from this fate is a community - one
> that we should be building.

Agree 100%. Perhaps the answer is that the community should perhaps be built
on something more than a specific OS alone, and more on the "non restrictive
ideas" behind the OS.

> Do you know that even the NIC, the organisation that has taken on the task
> of ensuring that all regions are connected and that data flows between
> them, forces people to use Windows because they insist on the use of
> routing cards that only have Windows drivers?

NIC for their Ku Band satellite setup uses Hughes DirecPC  VSAT technology
which is targeted at getting the satellite pipe direct to a "single" remote
user on the PC itself. Chances are that Hughes has only "Windows" drivers and
hence NIC is restricted to "windows" usage , well, atleast with the Ku Band
technology.

> To break this "chalta hai" mindset,

The bane of India for sure.

Krishnan