Re: Re: Please share your linux experiences....

On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 11:41:17PM +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:
> It is my belief that many techies actually do not *want* Linux to be
> adopted by the masses, with all these non-tech people using it. I suspect
> that many techies want Linux for themselves.
>
> That would explain at least part of the apathy I am experiencing on these
> lists.

It's not that techies don't *want* non-techies to use Linux. A better
characterization of the situation is:

- Techies care about non-techies due to rational self interest. More
  non-techies = network effects = more software for techies.

- Techies are not highly motivated to make life easy for non-techies. There
  are various exceptions to this rule.

  Talking about myself, at one point in my life, I would try and attack
  every PC I could find and reinstall it with Linux. But I don't care that
  much about it anymore. If a friend asks me linux questions, I answer
  it and help 'em out. But I don't want to make it the mission of my life.

  To sum it up, Linux is no longer a religion. It's just an OS for me.

	-Arun