Re: Re: Please share your linux experiences....

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Arun Sharma wrote:

> That said, I agree with some of what you're trying to say - that
> spreading Linux in India is a great goal and any related discussion is
> bang on topic. But bringing _focus_ to a _general_ group is self
> contradictory.

Arun, it is *Linux* *India* *General*. That implies at least some focus.
and it exists in lieu of linux-india-advocacy, which (when I last checked)
had two messages in it. And in any case, "advocacy" is too theortical in
nature - what we need is action.

> Linux users come in too many colors and hues and they get along best when
> they're talking only technical stuff.

Sorry, again I disagree. This belief is being propagated to the detriment
of Linux. You can do more with Linux as a non-tech person today than
anyone could have done during the days when DOS ruled.

Linux will succeed when an average person, not knowing much about
computers or OSs, can sit before a PC running Linux, and can fire up an
application to do his work.

And that is already the situation. All we now need to do is let people
know.

It is my belief that many techies actually do not *want* Linux to be
adopted by the masses, with all these non-tech people using it. I suspect
that many techies want Linux for themselves.

That would explain at least part of the apathy I am experiencing on these
lists.

Atul