Re: Non-political term

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Arun Sharma wrote:

> "Free software" is what appeals to ordinary people - even those who haven't
> heard of Linux. But as you already realize, it is a controversial term.

"Free software" is not the answer either, because I have personal
experience with "free" - most people value something based on the price
they paid for it, so it has a negative effect. And "free" (as in libre)
isn't very helpful either, because it is too politicised.

I used to think that the underdog effect was a major factor in people
cosying up to Linux, but these days, Linux is hardly an underdog.

Most people don't really seem to care that Linux is a Unix strain or free
(as in beer), but realise that after years of "Where do you want to go
today", it actually became "This is where you will go today/tomorrow", and
that it wasn't a Good Thing(TM).

Methinks that it is the fact that Linux offers choice that really makes
the difference, but it is not Linux alone - BeOS, *BSD and others are part
of the menu, too.

What I am trying to describe (with the term I am searching for) is the
spirit behind the return to choice - a single name/word/phrase that
describes unambiguously the movement that was spearheaded by Linux (by
giving it a much needed focal point).

When I speak to people, I try many terms, but the biggest reaction I get
is when I say "Linux" because, right or wrong, it in one word encapsulates
everything that I am trying to say - the audience and I are immediately on
the same page.

Is this wrong? Is "Linux" becoming the equivalent of "Xerox" (which people
use to describe the process of photocopying)?

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx (PGP:6011BCB8)
Bangalore, India   | +91(80)3440397 Fax +91(80)3341137