Re: Non-political term

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 01:07:15PM +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:

> In the past (and currently), I have used the name "Linux" to describe the
> phenomenon, for no other reason that people identify with it, recognise it
> and associate it with success through technical prowess rather than brute
> political force. This means that I effectively look at Linux as neither a
> kernel nor an OS, but as a movement, or a symptom.

[...]
> p.s. The loud "click" you just heard was my closing the buckle of my
> asbestos boxer shorts.

Actually, the strength of Linux is that it is the least controversial
among all other contenders - thanks mainly to the smart leader that
Linus is.

The problem with the term is - it is also a kernel and an OS, and not
an original one - but an imitation, both as an OS and a movement.

"Free software" is what appeals to ordinary people - even those who haven't
heard of Linux. But as you already realize, it is a controversial term.

	-Arun