Non-political term

Is there a non-politicised term to describe the phenomenon of thousands of
people collaborating on a software project, building communities and
changing the world? One that started sometime in the early 90's, revived
the concept of sharing and rallying around a cause, and is actually being
accepted today as a norm (rather than a compulsion)?

"GNU" is not applicable because of the way it has been turned into a
political battleground, and I won't even mention "GPL" or "OpenSource".

In the past (and currently), I have used the name "Linux" to describe the
phenomenon, for no other reason that people identify with it, recognise it
and associate it with success through technical prowess rather than brute
political force. This means that I effectively look at Linux as neither a
kernel nor an OS, but as a movement, or a symptom.

I wonder whether this is acceptable, though? Reading some recent posts,
and transcripts of speeches, I wonder whether this is OK or whether this
"third perspective" of mine is just leading the troops into yet another
minefield?

Atul

p.s. The loud "click" you just heard was my closing the buckle of my
asbestos boxer shorts.

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx (PGP:6011BCB8)
Bangalore, India   | +91(80)3440397 Fax +91(80)3341137