Re: Hacker vs Cracker

>>"Arun" == Arun Sharma <adsharma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Arun> Perhaps a more practical way out is to entirely give up on the word and
 Arun> use a different word for usage 3 ?

 >> That has even less chance of succes, IMHO.

 Arun> Define success.

        probability of adoption of a new term for a Hacker, Sorry, we
 are already a group of misfits, rebels, and, in the US, a bunch of
 social outcasts. We are not going to give up our defining term --
 certainly not for some clueless idiots out there l-) ;-)

 Arun> My definition of success is a clear distinction between a clever
 Arun> programmer and a malicious one.

        But these are not necesarily distince. A malicious programmer
 can be very clever, (The Worm was quite clever) See why I think you
 have little chance of success?

 Arun> Use "Guru" (or whatever) for the former and "Hacker" for the latter
 Arun> and success is achieved.

        You may get a limited splinter group to get to follow you --
 but this is not a grass roots movement, by a long shot (after a quick
 poll on IRC).

        We *like* having a simple litmus test to tell us who needs a
 clue bat.

 Arun> The problem here is more of people wanting to be called "hacker"
 Arun> while avoiding the wrong meaning.

        Wanting?

 Arun> On second thoughts, I think giving up "hacker" would be like
 Arun> giving up one's own culture (like MTV is doing in India) and I
 Arun> don't like that. But I don't think it's easy to get the
 Arun> "mainstream" to change either.

        Do we really need them to? I coul;dn't care less. The
 mainstream know nothing about most terms technical (almost all of
 which have totally different layman meaning anyway).

 Arun> Essentially, I see a problem, but I don't have a solution. (I
 Arun> retract my earlier suggestion).

        So now we agree.

        manoj
--
 What a misfortune to be a woman!  And yet, the worst misfortune is
 not to understand what a misfortune it is. Kierkegaard, 1813-1855.