Re: Hacker vs Cracker

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 04:16:34PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Arun" == Arun Sharma <adsharma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>  Arun> I think usage 4 is far too well entrenched in practice for a
>  Arun> few "hackers" in the Jargon sense to admonish and correct
>  Arun> zillions of people.
>
>         Oh, I don't know. I was reading a news story o CNN lately, and
>  the scrupulously used the correct term. I think we are finally making
>  a difference.

http://search.cnn.com/query.html?sites=CNN&qc=&col=cnni&qm=0&st=1&nh=10&lk=1&rf=1&look=&key=&venue=all&keyword=&comefrom=izcb-search&isp=zcb&qt=hacker

7611 hits.

>  Arun> Perhaps a more practical way out is to entirely give up on the word and
>  Arun> use a different word for usage 3 ?
>
>         That has even less chance of succes, IMHO.

Define success.

My definition of success is a clear distinction between a clever
programmer and a malicious one.

Use "Guru" (or whatever) for the former and "Hacker" for the latter
and success is achieved.

The problem here is more of people wanting to be called "hacker"
while avoiding the wrong meaning.

On second thoughts, I think giving up "hacker" would be like giving
up one's own culture (like MTV is doing in India) and I don't
like that. But I don't think it's easy to get the "mainstream" to change
either.

Essentially, I see a problem, but I don't have a solution. (I retract
my earlier suggestion).

	-Arun