Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 : one that hacks
2 : a person who is inexperienced or unskilled at a particular activity
<a tennis hacker>
3 : an expert at programming and solving problems with a computer
4 : a person who illegally gains access to and sometimes tampers with
information in a computer system

I think usage 4 is far too well entrenched in practice for a few "hackers"
in the Jargon sense to admonish and correct zillions of people.

Perhaps a more practical way out is to entirely give up on the word and
use a different word for usage 3 ?

	-Arun