my internet connection is very slow in Linux

Hi guys,

My internet connection is really slow on Linux. I
connect via the kppp. The speed is really pits. I took
me half an hour to open my yahoo mail box and compose
this mail.

Also when the internet connection is established. none
of the shortcuts or menu commands work. I cant even
open up another netscape or terminal window. It just
doesnt open. As soon as i dosconnect all of the
windows open automatically as if they were waiting for
me to disconnect.

I also get a statement saying connected at 9600 bps
..though my modem is a 33.6 kbps GVC extrenal modem.
Windows blazes through the internet and LInux is like
I am woking on a hopelessly slow (aka to 286 machine)

Any suggestions?