Re: Your opinion please - no flame wars !

I have some opinions (not onions:) about this:

First of all, I have been using RPM based systems since about 4 years,
and really, rpm has never given me any trouble.  Many source tarballs
now include a .spec file, from which you can make a custom RPM of your
own very easily and use normal rpm commands to add/erase that
software.  Very nifty indeed.

apt-get in debian is indeed cool.  But for most home (and even office)
users in India, it is pretty useless because of the limited bandwidth.
Most people would rather manage their downloads themselves on their
modems rather than giving it to apt-get (which I think will download
the dependencies serially, i.e. one-by-one, correct me if I'm wrong).
Atleast with Redhat, I have only rarely have problems finding the
correct package at rpmfind.net.

Debian Potato is very stable, but is horribly out-of-date.  Woody is
getting pretty nice, but CDs are hard to get.  Stormix is
out-of-business.  Progeny I've heard is cool, but can't comment as I
have'nt used it.

Mandrake includes some of the bleeding edge software (8.0 comes with
Gnome-1.4 and KDE 2.2.1), but is really unstable as I've heard.

Redhat as you might have noticed, tries to minimise new software in
its dot.1 and dot.2 releases.  Redhat 7.0 had a lot of new software
(XFree 4, new gcc, new kernel compatibility) and was a little shaky,
but expect Redhat 7.1 to be ROCK solid in every sense.

Just my 2 paise.

Loki.

--
Cricket scoreboard for linux