Re: Your opinion please - no flame wars !

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 04:53:10AM -0500, Sanjeev Gupta wrote:
>On Mon, 7 May 2001, Sudhir Gandotra wrote:
>
>> In your opinion, which distribution of Linux would be easiest for a
>> newbie to switch-over to Linux ?
>
>I am a Debian "enthusiast", so I have an opinion on this: Not Debian.
>
>It is possible that Progeny might be better, but I have not tried it.  I
>love Debian, but I do not think it would be a "newbie's" distribution.  I
>would love to be wrong.
Oke doke
Debian is not a newbee dist
But progeny is definately anyday better the mandrake red hat or any
rpm based thing for that matters deb based corel dist. or stormix

Reasons

*GUI install as easy as red hat.
*Fully debian compatible so all the advance fun
 apt-get and stuff is there fr the taking
 also can any day upgrade urself to a debian box
 or upgrade a debian box to progeny. ;)

I think V. krish was using Stormix and he was very happy with it
But I haven't tried Stormix . it may also be a contender.
Corel gets a big thumbs down . OK its very easy to install
and fun but its vrey "closed" Actully Corel came with its dist
because they needed a dist for corel phopaint and stuff so they came up
with one of their own.

In my opinion in the long run you will be happier with a debian based
distribution.

And I tried debian 2.0 when I was a "6 months old linux user"
can i call myself a newbee I installed debian in 2-3 days
and  I am still on debian.

---end quoted text---

--
	X windows:	The last thing you need.