Re: Cannot use dual boot in 20 GB HDD

Mr. Goldwyn,

     There is a setting in BIOS that whether installed
OS is pnp or other. You could try making it "other".
Also, while installing linux, (as I have found) make
the root partition less than 1 GB, and other
partitions as you like. Also don't forget to make the
swap partition (may be about 250 MB).

NKN

--- Goldwyn Rodrigues <goldwyn_r@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I recently got a 20 GB HDD. But the problem is I
> cannot Load Linux and
> Windoze both together.
> I want to keep reserve 10 GB for Linux and 10 for
> Win.
> Coming to the problem ina more precise way. I first
> made a 10 GB FAT 32
> partition in the HDD Formatted and installed Win.
> Then installed RH Linux
> 6.2. Linux worked fine but at the LILO prompt I got
> an error 0x00 for dos.
> Booted in Linux and reloaded LILO and got the error
> message - dos partition
> too big.
> Repartitioned the whole disk to make a 2GB (2047 MB)
> primary and 8 GB
> extended. Formatted and installed Linux again ( a
> major problem is I don't
> have good reliable floppies). But Linux refused to
> make more that 2
> partitions..... a swap and a / filesystem (a max of
> 2 GB). Though it is good
> enough but what do i do for the rest 8 GB.
> Maybe if someone has used a bug HDD with dual boot
> can help.
> And I don't want to keep 2 GB for win and 18 for
> Linux (My parents are
> beginners and need a user-friendly OS like Win and
> not a programmer friendly
> OS, Linux)
> Does RH Linux 7 have a solution to this??
> Thanx a lot
> goldwyn :o)

http://lists.linux-india.org/cgi-bin/wilma/linux-delhi

=====