Re: Re: SETI@home

Raju Mathur <raju@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My PIII/550, 512KB cache, 128MB RAM does a work unit in approx. 8
> hours if left undisturbed.  Look at secondary cache -- that makes a
> big difference in the processing speed.  cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> Client is: setiathome-2.4.i386-pc-linux-gnu-gnulibc2.1
>
> -- Raju

I have a PIII 700 MHz Coppermine processor with 256 KB Full speed Advanced
Transfer Cache (ATC). Isn't this supposed to perform better that 512K
half-speed cache?? Anywahy, Mrinal is running on a Celeron... think of the
cache factor for that??

Oddly enough, even if I run two simultaneous clients (from separate
directories of course) I get the same 16 hrs per work unit !!!

Now I'm  even more surprised!! Anyone with an explanation??

Cheerio!

-- Vipul Mathur
                         ,_,
<vipul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (O,O)  http://www.vipulonline.com/