pcmcia problems

well...
finally, meri aukad badh gaye!!!
and i have got a new compaq laptop. new territory for me!!! cos my dads old one didnot hav anything xcept a xircom pcmcia eth card... well.. the problem is that i finally convinced my dad to let me install linux on it... but now i am having some problems with the xircom 10/100 ethernet card cum fax/modem... the card keeps getting installed only as a eth0 device.. and no cua binding is made... so i cannot use the modem.... otherwise... everything was a breeze xcept for their stupid onboard soundcard.... but i got that done!
please help all u laptop holders....
Neil