banglinux & IT.COM is not needed for India

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 23:26:41 +0530 (IST)
From: M K Saravanan <mksarav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Raju Mathur <raju@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: linux-india-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [LIG] [ot - sort of] spammer bites the dust (goodbye gtcdrom.
    com)

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Raju Mathur wrote:

> How many Indian Internet users actually know what the word spam means?
>
> Not saying it's an american concept, but the word itself is something
> quite unknown to most people here.

Sorry it may be OFFTOPIC to the Linux group.  But in reality, the word
Internet itself, is unknown to most of the Indian.  Usually whenever i get
some free time (mostly in sundays) i will go to some govt. schools or other
colleges and voluntarily take (awareness) seminars on Internet.  During these
time, i have just wondered how ignorant are my fellow countrymen about
Internet.  The condition is very worst in non-metropolitan cities within the
state.  For e.g. if you go to places like thanjavur, tuticorin, tirunelveli,
they will simply laugh at you if you tell about Internet because they don't
even have proper computer facilities intheir colleges.  Telephone services are
still worst.  Most of the college students in these places even don't know how
to copy a file in a floppy (well you may say that 9 year old guy is doing
linux installation - but my dear countrymen, pl. look the rest of the people
also).

It will be nice, if ILUG take some initiative ona regular basis (say weekly or
monthly) to conduct Internet aware seminars particularly to govt. schools and
colleges (really you don't believe, lot of young poor brilliant guys are there
in govt. schools waiting for some mentor to guide them).  If we are able to
co-ordinate allthese young chaps, we can achieve a lot in India itself.  Those
who are having your old 286/386 can donate them to the schools so that they
can load somebasic software like BASIC, C Program etc..,

REally speaking Banglinux and IT.COM are not needed for the 90% of the Indian,
all they need is to start them, to initiate them with basic stuff (especially
poor govt. schools and colleges) and some minimum support fromthe computer
gurus.  I strongly believe that ILUG can contribute a lot to achieve this
goal.

-- mks --