Re: Joystick Programming in Linux

> the lsmod listed
> joystick as a module, but with 'unused' by the side.
> pls help

Hi,
   I checked the stock Redhat 6.1 kernel.It has all the kernel modules reqd. for joysticks supported
so far plus the devices  jso,js1 etc.If the module is loaded then it means everything's fine.You
just have to go on with your program.

   I see kernel-doc-2.2.12 installed in my Redhat system.It has files  joystick.txt and
joystick-api.txt.It talks about the bare API support for
joysticks.It also has modules.txt explaining about insmod,etc etc.

   And back to SDL.You can always give the SDL libs along with your software from where it can be
installed.Also you don't need to know any Linux system call programming if you use SDL.It would save
you as a developer a lot of time and the joystick code is improved by someone else who works
specifically on the joystick code.So your program gets bettered by someone else.This is one of the
strengths I see in the Linux environment.

 If you don't want to depend on SDL being installed you can always statically link with SDL,Hey the
guys at Loki who develop commercial Linux games do this.However you will have to understand the
licensing(which I don't).SDL is basically LGPL-ed,which means atleast one thing.You are entitled to
give a dynamically linked version at the user's request.