Re: Joystick Programming in Linux

hi,

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Krishnan P S wrote:

> as a developer, we cannot expect out clients to install sdl for using
> just one joystick function, so i thought of writing direct asm for port

	Well, the argument is not sound.  Why do you expect your clients
to have any OS (in your case it is worse - you need linux) on their
computer? Well, why do you expect the computer to exist at your clients
end?

	SDL is GPL, runs on many OS's (just a recompile will do).  Besides
havent you heard of statically compiled apps?

> communication. i have attached the files required for this, if it might
> be helpful. anyway, thanx  for the help.

	Attachments sent on any mailing list are certainly not adviced and
listar smartly deletes them.  Incidentally ilugc has more than 100
subscribers.  Maybe 10 of them are interested in your sources?  What is
the point in mailing the other 90 an attachment they have no interest for.

> btw, pls i'd like help on the procedure to follow after recompiling the
> kernel with the driver. what is compiling into the kernel and compiling

	Gets worse, you want the customer to recompile the kernel with a
totally untested module, which requires possible acceptance from Linus for
inclusion in the kernel.  But you dont want to install an SDL binary.
Wow!