Re:some clarifications...

"Deivanayak T Balakrishnan" <dnayak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>But i found something peculiar.
>
>i made my hda11 at reiserfs partition it is a home directory. Being an
>experimental install there are no users. Hence there are no files or
>directories in /home.
>
>When i give du -h /home
>it shows 512
>
>when i give df -h /home
>it says 32MB or 20% used.

       This is because of the journal. Journal size is 32MB. You have to live with it !.

>And the intialising of reiserfs partitions are not seen at startup. Is it
>the way things work???.

         What exactly do you mean. (When you mount a reiserfs partition , you can see the journal replay messages -- actually printk's in the kernel -- you wont get them if you set the kernel log level to 1,
alt-sysrq 1)

>Another question, i plan to repartition my harddisk. I want to use reiserfs.
>but it might be difficult to find space to move and copy again all files
>while converting to reiserfs.
>
>logical solution is install utilities and addon software after conversion to
>reiserfs with basic kernel installed.
>Can i do this with the upgrade option and without formating after booting
>off from CD, or should i go out installing each from  >individual RPM.

       You can't do that, the kernel in CDROM wouldn't have reiserfs support (in case of RH6.1).

-George Samuel