problem in recieving mails

Hi there
	We have a lab sever that runs all services including sendmail. We could
send mails properly. But there is problem with recieving mails. Some of
the mails that are sent this (the same m/c as this mail is coming from)
are bouncing back.  Finally now no mails are coming in. What could be
the reason.
	One place I new is smart forwarding host in sendmail.cf (We are using
the busiest proxy of the campus for this). More over we have a group of
severs which handle mail services for the entire campus.

	How do i fix this problem. How are the mails routed to a pirticular
m/c. I have gone thru mail-HOWTO i could not get sufficient help.

regards
prasad