Networking problems

HI all:
    We are running RHL 5.2 on our file server. It runs ypserv for some
four other linux boxes. The machine does not reboot properly. Once it
boots, even root can't login. So I have to boot in single
mode, configure the network and then init 3. I have checked the ifcfg
files; they are all ok. I get a lot of errors when the network script is
being run (like, netmask - unknown interface). Can somebody send me a
working copy of /etc/rc.d/init/.d/network and
/etc/sysconfig/netwrk-scripts/ifcfg* from an RHL 5.2 machine. That'll help
me compare and make any changes, if necessary.
    One thing that worries me is the Windoze-like behavior. These problems
were not there a month ago - suddenly it crops up!! (and I am sure nobody
touched these config files within the last one month).

TIA
Prasanna.