news server - mailing list comparison

dear chennai luggies
     my idea of news and related things is primitive. i was using tin on a
public access unix host ( ductape.net ), which incidentally runs linux.
i managed to get to ( if that is the right word ) comp.os.linux.announce .
     is there some newsgroup like our mailing list ? please tell me if
there is.
     is it possible to see the posts on the newsgroup from dial up
internet acccounts ? i do know for a fact that vsnl has a host with name
news.vsnl.net.in, but beats me if it's a news server. any idea, anybody ?
     and i notice the fundamental thing with news - no mass mailing. much
easier on the bandwidth and no spam to worry about. i know somebody has
already thought about this, but it's one of my rare instances of brilliant
thinking, so i'll ask the question - why don't we have an aero news server
instead of running listar ? i think all the subscribers have news clients
( tin in linux and netscape/outlook for win9x ). somebody please
enlighten.
    urls for more info on news and nntp would be appreciated.
thanks and regards
mani sridhar