Re: 4 queries

At 11:32 AM 2/7/2001 +0530, you wrote:
Rahul Jindal wrote:

> 1. difference b/w files rep. as fixed length records and variable length
> records.

Not any more. Basically you need to identify the file as sequential, indexed
sequential or random access to have those terms any meaning. No modern OS except
mainframe ones offer such feature. So this classification is no longer valid.

Holy Molly! We used to work with "record" type of files at one time.
It's all coming back to me now... :)

> 4. how do we set path in linux; what is the analogous to this (this is in
> windoze) PATH=%PATH%;<new-path>. i don't want to overwrite the previous
> path.

No idea... Anyway not a welcome question on a LI list...

Now I know why my attempts to try "echo $PATH$" in Windows weren't working...

Anyway:
export PATH="$PATH:/path/to/timbuktu"

--

Kiran Jonnalagadda