Re: [LIH] Virus in linux????????

Hi Rahul,

Rahul Jindal wrote:

> Hello all,
> something really strange happened today, strong enough to shake me, so don't
> mind the crooked language below.
>
> we have linux 6.2 installed on the computers in our lab. the admin logged
> onto a computer 8:30 in the morning and left the login in the root user a/c.
> after sometime we discovered that the system won't just let us perform the
> admin tasks. we could still login with other a/c names and work on the
> computer as normally as ever. we even started the X. only the admin
> functions wouldn't work.

I am more than sure that it is not a virus!!! Ur sys admin kept the root
login open and someone has done some stupid activity.

> if we try su, it says the user root does not exist. the files such as
> /etc/shadow and /etc/password /etc/issue are apparently as always.
>
> THE MOST STRANGE PART IS THIS:
>
> 1. IF WE TRY TO LOGIN AS ROOT THE FOLLOWING HAPPEN
>
>     IF THE PASSWORD IS THE SAME AS THE ADMIN HAD SET IT - THE SCREEN WOULD
> SIMPLY CLEAR, WITHOUT GIVING ANY MESSAGE.
>     IF WE ENTER A WRONG PASSWORD, THE EXPECTED login incorrect APPEARS.

someone has modified ur /etc/securetty file. There, mention
tty1
tty2
tty3
tty4
tty5
tty6

>     apparently the "virus" scans for the actual password.

means?????

> 2. IF WE TRY TO RESTART THE COMPUTER BY DOING THE FOLLOWING
>         A) PRESS CTRL-ALT-DELETE
>         B) reboot
>         C) SHUTDOWN -H 0
> THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE APPEARS
>
> "You don't exist anyway. Go away".

Again someone has modified ur rc files... Make it proper....

> What is this going on?
> The whole system has gone read-only. I call it a "virus" because there was
> no person who cud do this, those who were are the beginners in linux
> practising commands such as ls.

SOME CRAP HAS DONE IT MANUALLY AFTER GAINING ACCESS TO THE SYSTEM. IT IS
NOT A VIRUS... IT IS A ACT OF STUPIDITY BY SOME INDIVIDUAL TO MAKE U
CONFUSED.