Re: [LIH] Virus in linux????????

> Hello all,
> something really strange happened today, strong enough to shake me, so don't
> mind the crooked language below.
>
> we have linux 6.2 installed on the computers in our lab. the admin logged
> onto a computer 8:30 in the morning and left the login in the root user a/c.
> after sometime we discovered that the system won't just let us perform the
> admin tasks. we could still login with other a/c names and work on the
> computer as normally as ever. we even started the X. only the admin
> functions wouldn't work.

it seems that y'r login shell for the root account is changed in
/etc/passwd check it whether it is /bin/bash or not

try following

reboot the system : by doing h/w reset
<> on lilo: prompt write

LILO: linux root=/dev/hdaX rw single

<> replace X with root partion no ..
<>edit y'r /etc/passwd file
<>come back to prompt
# init 3

> 2. IF WE TRY TO RESTART THE COMPUTER BY DOING THE FOLLOWING
>         A) PRESS CTRL-ALT-DELETE
>         B) reboot
>         C) SHUTDOWN -H 0
> THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE APPEARS
>
> "You don't exist anyway. Go away".

this might have happened due to change in /etc/inittab where default
action for the ctr-alt-del is defined ,the command to be executed

i hope this will help ,

pls correct me if a'm wrong somewhere

shubh
rec-surat