Re: Corba vs RPC.

> #
> #I'm thinking of implementing a project using RPCs, however, I've just
> #started to read about CORBA and it seems very interesting...
>
> trust me, it is !!

Yup, it sure seems like it...

> #
> #Anyone here used CORBA? If so, how does it compare to RPCs in
> #performance?
>
> depends on your App and staffing/stub code.
> There are Real Time ORBs, which are good !

Just how fast are they? And how long does it take on average for a client to
'connect up' with a server and start the execution of a method? What's the
lag like?

> #Is the standard stable enough and are there Open Source ORBs
> #available on a
> #variety of platforms?
>
> Take a look at http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/TAO.html
> TAO (pronounced 'dao') is what you want :-) This is a real time, open
source
> ORB strictly compliant to the RT-CORBA standard.
> The perf is good and you will learn a whole lot more of C++/objects while
> doing CORBA than you would doing RPC (procedural). Skim thru the site for
> great material.You can also consider joining the mailing list. Stuff
> compiles on a variety of pltfms including "RedHat Linux 6.2"

Checking it out as I write this...

> Which book are you reading ?
> Try the one by Alan Pope .. The CORBA Reference guide.. for a theoretical
> insight.

Will probably check it out. The only book I have access to right now is a
Blah Blah in 14 days rag. Yeah it's not that great but its available free
online! Besides, I've already borrowed a book form the local tech library.
Will scout around for better CORBA material when I go to return it.

--Arsalan.