Re: java applet problem

> > > Is the applet being run off of a server (ie. a http URL)?  If the
> applet
> > > were running from the user's local disk through a file:// URL then the
> > > security restriction of being able to connect only back to the server
> that
> > > sent the .class files does not apply.
> > As long as we're using "appletviewer", it doesn't matter...
> > But this doesn't seem to hold true when using a browser(i used
> > netscape).
>
> I am almost certainly sure that when you open a page using the file:// URL
> (ie. a page local to your hard disk) and when this page contains an applet
> which is also local to your hard disk the "connect back only to server
> sending this applet" does not apply.

I'm afraid this is not true. Browser security exceptions are thrown in
both cases... the URL being file:// or being http:// doesnt make a
difference.

------------------------8<---------cut here--------8<-----------------
import java.awt.*;
import java.net.*;
import java.io.*;

public class Socklet extends java.applet.Applet {
String serverName;
int portNumber;

        public void init() {
                serverName=getParameter("serverName");
                portNumber=Integer.parseInt(getParameter("portNumber"));
                setBackground(Color.white);
        }

        public void paint(Graphics g) {
        for(;;) {
                try {
                Socket socket=new Socket(serverName,portNumber);

                PrintWriter writer=new PrintWriter(new
OutputStreamWriter(
                                        socket.getOutputStream()),true);

                BufferedReader reader=new BufferedReader(new
                        InputStreamReader(socket.getInputStream()));

                g.drawString("SERVER SAYS:" + reader.readLine(), 10,10);
                Thread.sleep(6000);
                } catch (Exception e) {g.drawString("Error!" + e
,10,10);}

        }
        }
}
------------------------>8---------cut here-------->8----------

HTML file to test: <Change the ServerName parameter to test>

 <head>
  <title>
    Test Socklet
  </title>
 </head>

  <center>
   <applet code="Socklet.class" height=100 width=600>
   <param name="ServerName" value="157.227.12.225">
   <param name="portNumber" value="25">
   </applet>
  </center>

--
There is a natural hootchy-kootchy to a goldfish.
		-- Walt Disney