Re: Questions on cross-platform development...

Thanks everyone who responded.

Arsalan Zaidi wrote:

Right, QT seems to be a popular choice. Check out /., I remember a thread
about this in Ask /. or something. Lots of links there.

Will check out the Ask Slashdot piece. My problem with QT is the GPL (not LGPL) and QPL dual-licensing. I wish it were under LGPL. But then again, that'd mean that TrollTech would not be making money. Binad, what this means is that I can use the GPL-ed version of QT if I'm developing code that is also going to be GPL-ed (The GPL virus at work). If I'm developing commercial, closed-source applications using QT, I'd have to buy developer license from TrollTech under QPL.

Also, Qt does not do Mac.  But that platform is dying anyway. ;-)

BTW (and since I've never used QT, take this with a pinch of salt), I think
QT has some vague 'extensions' to C++ ... You might not like that very much.
More info from ppl who've worked with it please.

I've heard abt the C++ mangling too. If memory serves me right... you have to run your code thorugh a pre-processor or something to mangle it before it can be compiled. Arun, any input?

BTW, the only other cross-platform GUI that comes to mind is AWT/Swing. But
that means you have to buy into the whole Sun Java wet-dream...

Java might not be an option.  Too bloated, slow and feature-less.

GTK is being worked on as well, but it's been a while since I looked it up.

I've looked at that. It is basically porting GTK+ to Win. No promises are being made by the porter.

You know it all depends on what you're trying to do... For e.g. on a project
I'm working on right now, I've decided to implement the configuration
program as a CGI script. That way I get both remote admin features and a
flexible client with support for SSL, a clean, familiar interface, it's own
rudimentary scripting language and support for Java (other wise known as a
browser...). HTML + .jpegs are pretty cross-platform...

I know what you mean. The browser has become sort of a universal UI. But my problem is too complex to be done through a browser. Besides, it does not fit into the traditional client-server model which works best with web apps.

Thaths