Re: (how to fetch mac address) arp

Hi Abhishek,

>         I want to extend my program so server can authenticate clients
> as per its mac address.Here my server is running on RH-6.1 and my clients
> are windoze based..

why do you want to "authenticate" users using the MAC address... I ask
because every IP address is mapped to a unique MAC address and vice
versa... (of course, if you're using IP aliasing then two IPs might be
mapped to the same MAC adress... another thing is here i am assuming
that clients are connected to the server via Ethernet...) if you could
detail what sort of authentication you want na dfor what purpose, it
might be easier to look into it... otherwise the IP address should work
fine...

Abhas.