Re: [LI] New Celeron 433

Chetan Korke wrote:
>Since my budget is limited I will be going for an Celeron 433 with an
> INTEGRATED AGP CARD AND INTEGRATED SOUND. Other than that 64mb RAM and a
> 8gb HDD.
> What I want to know is that are there any compitablity issues of Linux with
> the integrated AGP/Sound Motherboards ? If yes what are the makes/models of
> mother boards with integrated AGP/Sound which I can specify to my vendor
> and are *cheap*.

There are two that i have seen ( in fact assembled):
1) Intel 810 chipset with AGP and 32-bit sound
2) Via chipset based with sis620 AGP, 32-bit sound, Etherent card and V.90
modem.
Performance wise (not Linux) i810 is *much faster* than the Via one. Games in
winduhs even on 32mb are much better on 810s than Via, (some new mobo
architecture funda -- read PCQ Jan 2000).
The i810's graphics/video driver for Linux platform is available from intel's
site. The built in sound chip varies; there's one with Ensoniq chip, that i
suppose is supported ( the Creative Ensoniq card with ES1371(0) works with
OSS/Free sound driver).

> I want to allocate 2 GB to Linux. What should be the recommended
> partitions size ilike ? (the rest will be devoted to Win NT/95).

For a simple setup:
/boot : 16mb (make it the very first partition of your drive)
/     :1.5 Gb
swap  : 64mb
/home : you choose ;-)

HTH,