RE: [LI] RE: Fetchmail query

Hi,

Thanks Khader & Urmil for clearing my doubt.

Rajesh

On 29-Jan-00 Syed Khader Vali wrote:

>     Rajesh> Hi friends, When you use Fetchmail to download the mail
>     Rajesh> from POP server, it should delete every message immediatly
>     Rajesh> after downloading. Correct me If I am wrong.
>
>     Rajesh> Yesterday I noticed that, there were 100 mails in my
>     Rajesh> mailbox and the connection got disconnected after
>     Rajesh> downloading half of the mails.
>
> Hi There,
> Actually fetchmail or for that matter any pop client can delete mails
> only if it exits gracefully from the pop server by issuing a quit command.
> So, since you are using a dot/vsnl server which might be disconnecting
> fetchmail before it does a graceful exit, your *deleted* mails are not
> actually
> deleted and they still remain. So, in order to have conplete control of your
> mail
> box, either use netscape client and download mails in some multiples issuing
> a cancel
> in between where in netscape comes out gracefully  and thus *actually*
> deleting your mail.
> Or get on to some high speed connection which *doesn't* drop and then
> download using fetchmail ;-)
> HTH
> Regards
>       Khader

Rajesh(ALIAS Shriram)
How I Configured my SiS6215 Card
?Visit:http://rajesh.computers.webjump.com/linux.html

Web Site : http://rajesh.computers.webjump.com/
   Email : rfowkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken bird that cannot fly.
Langston Hughes