[LI] eth0 initialization delayed

During boot up of Linux (RH6.1), I get a message

activating lo interface  [ok]
activating eth0 interface [failed]

(I am quoting both 'coz I think they are connected!)
Because, I try setting it up using netcfg (from control-panel), and it
says I can not meddle with loopback interface. Earlier, in ohter m/c, I
had always put a line
alias eth0 ne
in /etc/conf.modules and rebooted the system and it would happily take
the i/o and irq numbers and settle down. What could be the problem now?
Also, printtool tells me that no lp ports are detected. (printer works
in Win). Any idea where to set it up?
Ashok