Re: [LI] Cards PCI v/s AGP

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Rohit wrote:

> > The reason the X performance was so slow may have been because the earlier
> > Xfree86 servers did not support the video RAM on the card properly.
>
> Venu,
> First of all, I must thank you for the interest shown. It is wonderful
> to find
> someone to discuss this issue, which happens to be a problem for my
> case.

No probs :)

> Hey! Right now I am using the server that came with RHL 6.1. Do you
> remember which server is that? I do not remember the series right now.
> Also, I take your word when you say that the performance is acceptable.
> In my terms, it should mean that S3 Trio 3D/2x card with 8 MB RAM should
> run everything smoothly, even the zoomed movies on MTVP, right?

You will probably running the SVGA server. However, you may, by *remote*
chance, configured the frame buffer server on your machine. From bitter
experiance, I can tell you that the SVGA server feels like a speed demon
in comparision. Yes, I think you should be able to get pretty acceptable
performance, especially at 16 bit color depths, if the server works
properly in that color depth.

> Venu, can you give me some idea? Have we discussed it before? I want a
> good card, on Linux, which can give good video/graphic [including X]
> performance? I am sick of waiting to see my dialogue boxes drawn etc.

By no means am I an expert in the matter, but it seems to me (from the
documentation as well as the experiance of some of my friends) that the
Intel i740 is an excellemt card. It is well
supported in all color depths, and for Rs. 3000 odd, you cannot ask for
better performance in Windows either, because it supports OpenGL as well
as Direct3D features. However, the only drawback is that it is now
currently not under production, and so stock may be difficult to obtain.
By my experiance, another good card is the SiS 6326. I have one at home ,
and with the SuSe X server, it works entirely to my satisfaction, only
blanking out at 32 bit, and that maybe because I try to push the card too
much by specifying all the possible acceleration features that I could
try. Why, quake (without software emulation only) runs as fast on Linux,
as in Windows. Video CD playback is also very acceptable, although full
screen seems to give a few problems. Of course, the Voodoo range of cards
usually work very well, even including hardware acceleration for Mesa
(OpenGL in Linux, that is), primarily thanks to their glide drivers.
However, as I have stated earlier, I am by no means an expert in the
matter, and I would be glad if someone could help out in the matter.

							yours,
							venu